Preparing for a Mammogram
- It is important to eat prior to coming in for your exam! Maintain your regular eating schedule.
- If you have had mammograms at another facility, try to get your x-rays to take with you to your mammogram appointent.
- On the day of the exam, don’t wear deodorant or antiperspirant because they can appear on the x-ray as white spots.
- You may find it more convenient to wear a skirt or pants, so that you’ll need to remove only your blouse for the exam.
- Schedule your mammogram when your breasts are not tender or swollen to help reduce discomfort and to assure a good picture. Try to avoid the week just before your period.
- Always describe any breast symptoms or problems that you are having to the technologist doing the mammogram.
Preparing for a Pap Test
For more accurate test results:
- Don't use tampons, birth-control foams, jellies, or other vaginal creams for 2–3 days before the test.
- There is no need to douche, but if you do, don't douche for 2–3 days before the test.
- Do not have sexual intercourse for 2 days before the test.
- Try not to schedule your Pap test during your menstrual period. The best time is at least 5 days after your menstrual period stops.